Income tax on shares

I have income from regular salaray.I have transactions of buying and selling of shares (mostly short term).What will be the I.T. on these transactions? I heared it is 15% and nil (for long term transactions).Please let me know. Importantly,my CA has filed my return ,online, on form no ITRIV and deducted 30% tax on shor term gain.He has treated these transactions as business.Is it correct? Can we file revised return to rectify the mistake if any?If yes, what is the last date/period within which we can do this? Thanks

asked Aug 02 '11 at 10:49 by tekchand 1111

In case STT has been paid on buying/selling of shares, 15% income tax is payable on short term capital gains (kept for less than a year). These transactions should not be intra-day and delivery should have been taken.

If the transactions have been intra-day, then it would be treated as income from speculations. Gains will be added to taxable income.

If transactions have been in F&O (future and options) then this will be treated as income from business.

Still, If you think, ITR has been filed with incorrect data, then you can file a revised return. You should file revised return before end of assessment year (31st March).

answered Aug 02 '11 at 16:22 by pankaj 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via email, twitter , or facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Aug 02 '11 at 10:49

Seen: 1,251 times

Last updated: Aug 02 '11 at 16:22